Mileage Rates for Self Employed

The self-employed can claim the HMRC Approved Mileage Rate (“Approved Mileage Allowance Payment”, AMAP) towards their business mileage expenses, provided they keep proper records of all business journeys.

What mileage rate can the self-employed claim?

The standard mileage rates apply to the self-employed. They can claim 45ppm (pence per mile) for the first 10,000 miles travelled by car or van. They can also claim 25ppm for each additional mile over 10,000 miles. If travelling by motorcycle, the mileage rate is 24ppm; for using a bicycle, the rate is 20ppm.

Can I pay myself more than the AMAP rate?

It is not advisable. If you pay yourself more than the AMAP rate, it is ignored by the HMRC (formerly Inland Revenues) and your accountants when calculating your profit.

What records do I need to keep?

You must keep a mileage log recording all your business trips.

This should include:

  1. The date of travel;
  2. The reason for the journey;
  3. The miles covered;
  4. The type of transport used.

You can log your business mileage either on paper or electronically; in a mileage log book, a mileage log spreadsheet, or online. Use Tripcatcher mileage log to track your mileage expenses simply and speedily: just click the Sign Up link at the top of the screen.

The mileage expense records must be kept for at least three years after the tax year to which they apply.



Log on to Tripcatcher

 Forgot your password?

Remember me on this computer?


Sign up to Tripcatcher

  * Required

Please help our marketing team

Where did you hear about us?

Are you happy to receive our
occassional newsletter?

Terms of Service
Please review the Terms & Conditions & select the tick box if you accept them.
I accept the Terms & Conditions


Enter your email address below and click the button. We will send you a reminder of your password via email.


If you wish to log off and end your session, click Log Off. Click Cancel to stay logged on.



Terms and Conditions